Currituck County Currituck County Image

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I need an appointment to apply for assistance?
A. No. Typically, the department does not take appointments for applying for financial assistance. Applicants are seen on a first-come, first-served basis during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). Occasionally, appointments may be made, but only in special, unavoidable circumstances.

Q. What do I need to bring with me when applying for assistance?
A. Nothing is required for the application; however, some of the following information is often required to process an application:

• Social Security card
• Medicare card
• Verification of income
• Life insurance policies
• Health insurance information
• Bank statements or bank account numbers
• Proof of any other assets you own

Q. At what age do children need to have a work permit?

A. Children ages 14-17 must obtain a work permit in order to gain employment.

Q. What types of work are children allowed to do?
A. Generally, youths can only work in office and clerical work, retail sales and services, including food service and gasoline service stations. They are not allowed to work in manufacturing, construction, or occupations involving the use of power-driven machinery, including lawn mowers. Check North Carolina Department of Labor for Child Labor in Nonagricultural federal and state requirements for complete details.