Currituck County Currituck County Image

Frequently Asked Questions

About Your Water Supply

Q: Where does the water come from?
A: The Ocean Sands Development is supplied by the Souther Outer Banks Water Treatment Plant.  The treatment plant utilizes reverse osmosis to treat brackish well water supplied by five deep wells.  In addition, the plant treats shallow well water froms seven well fields with green sand and anion exchange filters.

Q: How is the water treated?
A: The water supply is treated in accordance with state regulations for public water systems. For specific details on public water treatment requirements, please visit the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources website:

Q: Is fluoride added to the water?
A: No. If you have questions or concerns about fluoride and your family’s dental health, please consult your dental health care provider.

Q: Should I buy a water softener?
A: The “softness” of water is a matter of personal preference. We do not soften or condition the water. If you wish to soften or condition your water, you are certainly free to do so at your own expense.

Q: Is water ever rationed?
A: To date, we have not been required to institute any water rationing in times of drought. However, there may come a time in the future when rationing may become necessary if there is an unusual or sustained period of drought that affects our water supply, or if any other circumstances would require us to restrict water consumption. With this in mind, we urge our customers to use water as economically as possible to preserve supplies for the future. For some water saving tips, click here.

About Your Sewer Service

Q: Who do I call if I have a sewer problem?
A: For sewer problems, please call the Currituck County Water Department office at (252) 232-2769, ext. 4035. We will generate a service order and fax it to Enviro-Tech for action. If the problem is with our equipment, Enviro-Tech will repair it. If the problem is in your house or your sewer line, you will be responsible for repairs. We will advise you or your property manager if this is the case.

About Your Water Bill

Q: How often am I billed?
A: Ocean Sands customers are billed for water and sewer service on a monthly basis. All bills are due on presentation and become past due 21 days thereafter. As you are billed at the same time each month, you are responsible for seeing that your bill is paid on time. If you have any questions about your billing date or due date, please contact the Water Department office.

Q: My due date isn’t convenient. Can I change it?
A: As our billing cycles are geographic in nature, we regret that we are unable to honor any requests for a change in bill date or due date.

Q: How do you calculate my water and sewer charges?
A: For a detailed rate and fee schedule information, click here.

Q: My bill is higher than usual. What’s wrong?
A: There are many factors that can affect your bill amount…such as:

  1. Do you have a leak? This can include anything from a leaky flapper valve in your commode to a full-blown burst pipe. Click here for ways to check for leaks in your plumbing.
  2. Have you increased your water consumption? Watering lawns or gardens, washing driveways, sidewalks or vehicles, and out-of-town guests are some of the most common causes of voluntarily increased water consumption.
  3. Did you fill or top off your swimming pool? If you don’t have a pool, have the kids been playing with the sprinkler or garden hose to stay cool?
  4. Is yours a rental property? If so, keep in mind that vacationers often use more water while on vacation than they normally would at home.

If you don’t have any problems with your plumbing and there are no other factors that may have affected your water consumption, the possibility exists hat we may have accidentally overbilled you. If you think this is the case, please call us at once and we’ll research the matter.

Q: I had a pipe break, and my bill is enormous. Can you help me?
A: If you suffer a catastrophic leak, we may be able to provide some relief in the form of a leak adjustment credit; however, this credit will not reduce your bill to its normal amount. If you cannot pay the entire adjusted bill by its due date, we may offer you a payment arrangement, depending on the amount of the bill.

Q: Do you read the meters every month?
A: Yes, we do! Bills may be estimated if foul weather or other conditions prohibit regular meter reading. We may also estimate your bill if your meter is obstructed by overgrown grass or shrubbery, parked vehicles, fencing or gates. The Code of Ordinances requires that you keep your meter unobstructed and accessible to water department personnel at all times. If we encounter an obstruction that prohibits us from reading your meter or accessing it for service, we will notify you in writing and give you 30 days to clear the obstruction. If you do not act within 30 days, water department personnel will clear the obstruction and you will be charged for this service.

Q: I received a “Final Disconnection Notice.” What’s going on?
A: Disconnection notices are sent when a customer is past due on the previous month's bill. If you have paid the past due amount and still receive a disconnection notice, please do the following before contacting us:

  • Contact your bank to verify that your check has cleared. If you paid via money order, you should have your money order traced to see if it has cleared. In either case, we will need the date your check or money order cleared in order to investigate the matter.
  • If you paid by cash, we will need to see your receipt.

If your payment has not cleared, it may have been lost or delayed in the mail. Rather than waiting to see if your payment reaches us before the cutoff date, you should bring your account up to date at once. If your payment does reach us at a later date, we will post it to your account and the resulting credit will apply toward your next bill.

IMPORTANT: If you receive a disconnection notice, you must pay the past due amount before the shutoff date indicated on the notice. We cannot honor requests for extensions.

Q: What are my payment options?
A: At the present time, you may pay by cash, check or money order, by mail or in person at our office. If your bank offers online bill payment services, you may set us up as a payee to have your bank send a check to us. Credit card and e-check payment along with direct draft service are also available.

Q: Do you offer discounts for pool filling?
A: As our water production costs do not decrease with increased usage, we regret that we are unable to offer discounts for pool filling. If you have just installed a new pool, we can adjust your sewer bill to compensate for the additional charge incurred from the excess water usage. Your pool contractor must provide us with written documentation detailing the size of the pool, capacity in gallons, and the date it was installed.

Q: What if I want my meter moved for a new pool or driveway?

A: You should contact the Water Department office with your request. If approved by the Superintendent, your water meter may be relocated. Charges for this service will appear on your next water/sewer bill.